Artificial intelligence (AI) is one of the most powerful and transformative technologies of our time. It has the potential to improve lives, solve global challenges, and create new opportunities for humanity. How can we ensure that AI is developed and used in a safe and responsible manner, while maximising its benefits for society? This is the question that will be addressed by world leaders, experts, and leading technology companies at the first global AI Safety Summit
The summit aims to facilitate a critical global conversation on AI safety and encourage a coordinated approach to mitigate the risks and harness the opportunities of frontier AI. In this article, we will introduce the main objectives, participants, outcomes, and FAQs of the summit.
Table of Contents
What is the AI Safety Summit 2023?
The AI Safety Summit 2023 is an international conference discussing the safety and regulation of artificial intelligence. It is being held in Bletchley Park, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom, on 1–2 November 2023 It is the first ever global summit on Artificial Intelligence.
The summit aims to bring together leading AI nations, technology companies, researchers, and civil society groups to turbocharge action on the safe and responsible development of frontier AI around the world Frontier AI is a term for the latest and most powerful AI systems that could pose significant risks to humanity and the environment.
Why is AI Safety Important?
AI safety is the study and practice of ensuring that AI systems are aligned with human values and do not cause harm or unintended consequences. AI safety is important because:
- AI’s expanding influence in healthcare, education, finance, security, and entertainment necessitates addressing ethical, legal, social, and technical complexities.
- AI’s potential to benefit or harm human well-being and rights underscores the importance of fairness, transparency, accountability, and trustworthiness in AI systems.
- Preventing existential threats, we must ensure AI aligns with human values and respects autonomy, in the face of potential artificial superintelligence (ASI).
What are the Objectives of the AI Safety Summit?
The objectives of the summit are to discuss and agree on how to ensure the safe and responsible development of frontier AI, which is the term for the latest and most powerful AI systems that could pose significant risks to humanity and the environment. According to the UK government, which is hosting the summit, the five objectives are:
- Build a shared understanding of frontier AI risks.
- Map out processes for ongoing international collaboration.
- Agree on appropriate safety measures for organizations.
- Identify areas to collaborate on safety research.
- Showcase how safe AI enables broader benefits.
Who are the Participants of the AI Safety Summit?
The participants of the summit are representatives from various governments, technology companies, civil society groups, and research institutions. Some of the notable figures known to be attending include:
- US Vice President Kamala Harris.
- China’s vice technology minister, Wu Zhaohui.
- CEO of X, formerly Twitter, Elon Musk.
- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, who is the only G7 leader attending.
- Executives from AI companies, including OpenAI, Google, Meta, Anthropic and UK-based Deepmind.
- Experts from academia, such as Geoffrey Hinton and Yoshua Bengio, who are considered the “godfathers” of modern AI.
Musk and Sunak will conclude the summit with a live conversation on X, the experimental moonshot factory that aims to invent and launch technologies that could make the world a radically better place.
What are the Expected Outcomes of the Summit?
The summit is expected to result in:
- A shared understanding of the risks posed by frontier AI and the need for action.
- A forward process for international collaboration on frontier AI safety, including how best to support national and international frameworks.
- Appropriate measures which individual organizations should take to increase frontier AI safety
- Areas for potential collaboration on AI safety research, including evaluating model capabilities and the development of new standards to support governance.
- A declaration on AI safety principles and commitments, known as the Bletchley Declaration, which will be signed by 28 governments and endorsed by leading AI companies and civil society groups.
The summit will also generate awareness and engagement among the public and the media on the importance of AI safety and its implications for society.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Frontier AI?
Frontier AI includes advanced technologies like neural networks, NLP, computer vision, and GANs, showing exceptional performance and autonomy. However, they bring substantial risks and challenges, demanding careful development, ethical considerations, and responsible deployment.
What is the Bletchley Declaration?
The Bletchley Declaration, to be signed by 28 governments and endorsed by AI industry and civil society, establishes safety principles for the responsible development and use of frontier AI, promoting a shared vision and framework at the AI Safety Summit 2023.
Why is Bletchley Park Chosen as the Venue for the Summit?
Bletchley Park, steeped in history as the Enigma codebreaking hub during WWII, hosts the summit. It’s also home to the National Museum of Computing, highlighting the evolution of computing and AI, making it an apt choice for the event.
The AI Safety Summit 2023 is a historic and unprecedented event that will bring together global leaders and experts to discuss the future of AI and its impact on humanity. The summit aims to foster a global dialogue and cooperation on AI safety and ensure that AI is developed and used in a safe and responsible manner. The summit will also highlight how AI can be used for good globally and address some of the most pressing challenges facing humanity.