If you are looking for a free and reliable way to host your website, you might want to consider using a Linux cloud server. A Linux cloud server is a virtual machine that runs on a cloud computing platform and uses the Linux operating system. Linux cloud servers offer many benefits, such as scalability, security, flexibility, cost-effectiveness.
However, not all Linux cloud servers are created equal. Some of them have limitations on the resources, features, and support they provide. To help you choose the best option for your needs, we have compiled a list of the top 5 free Linux cloud servers that you can use to host your website.
What is a Linux Cloud Server?
A Linux cloud server is a type of cloud computing service that provides you with a virtual machine that runs on a Linux operating system. A virtual machine is a software-based emulation of a physical computer that can run applications and store data.
A cloud computing platform is a network of servers that are connected via the internet and provide various services such as storage, computing, networking, and security. A Linux cloud server has several benefits over a traditional web hosting service. Some of these benefits are:
- Scalability: You can easily adjust the resources of your Linux cloud server according to your needs. You can add more CPU, RAM, disk space, as your website grows or experiences spikes in traffic.
- Reliability: You don’t have to worry about hardware failures affecting your website. Your Linux cloud server is hosted on multiple servers that are distributed across different locations.
- Security: You have more control over the security of your Linux cloud server than a shared web hosting service. You can configure your own firewall rules, encryption methods, access permissions.
- Cost-effectiveness: You only pay for what you use with a Linux cloud server. You don’t have to pay for any unused resources or fixed monthly fees. You can also take advantage of free trials.
Top Free Linux Cloud Server Providers
There are many cloud providers that offer free Linux cloud servers for hosting your website. However, not all of them are equally suitable for your needs. Here is a comparison table that summarizes the main features and limitations of the top 5 free Linux cloud server providers.
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is one of the most popular and widely used cloud computing platforms in the world. It offers a variety of services and products for web hosting, such as EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), S3 (Simple Storage Service), Lambda (serverless computing), RDS (Relational Database Service), and more.
AWS also has a free tier that allows you to use some of its services for free for 12 months. For example, you can get a free Linux cloud server with 1 GB of RAM, 30 GB of storage, and 750 hours of monthly usage. You can also get 5 GB of S3 storage, 1 million Lambda requests, 20 GB of RDS storage, and more.
- Launch an Amazon Linux instance with a public IP for secure, high-performance application hosting on EC2.
- Explore Linux options like CentOS, Debian, Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu on AWS Marketplace for tailored features.
- Utilize AWS Free Tier for 12 months to learn AWS services like Amazon S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, and SageMaker.
- Discover minimal, secure, and GPU-focused Linux distributions on AWS Marketplace, some eligible for AWS Free Tier or free trials.
Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is another major cloud computing platform that offers various services and products for web hosting, such as Compute Engine (virtual machines), Cloud Storage (object storage), Cloud Functions (serverless computing), Cloud SQL (managed database), and more.
GCP also has a free tier that allows you to use some of its services for free forever. For example, you can get a free Linux cloud server with 0.6 GB of RAM, 30 GB of storage, and 1 GB of network egress per month. You can also get 5 GB of Cloud Storage, 2 million Cloud Functions invocations, 1 GB of Cloud SQL storage, and more.
Discover more on our blog, where we share tips and tutorials about “.NET Best Cloud FREE Hosting Providers 2023“ Whether you are a beginner or experienced, we have got you covered with valuable insights on the “.NET Best Cloud FREE Hosting Providers 2023”.
- Create Linux VMs on Google Cloud with various distributions or preconfigured images like WordPress or WireGuard VPN.
- Get $300 in Cloud Billing credits for 90 days with the Free Trial to explore GCP products, including Compute Engine.
- Enjoy select GCP products within monthly usage limits at no cost, like one f1-micro VM instance, storage, and network egress.
- Access Google Maps Platform features using a monthly credit equivalent to $200.
- Secure Linux VMs with Shielded VM to prevent attacks and unauthorized access.
- Encrypt Linux VMs with Confidential VM using AMD SEV tech for isolation.
- Manage Linux VMs with OS Config agent for inventory, configuration, and patching.
Microsoft Azure is another leading cloud computing platform that offers various services and products for web hosting, such as App Service (web hosting platform), Virtual Machines (virtual machines), Storage Accounts (object storage), Azure Functions (serverless computing), Azure SQL Database (managed database), and more.
Azure also has a free tier that allows you to use some of its services for free for 12 months. For example, you can get a free Linux cloud server with 1 GB of RAM, 30 GB of storage, and 750 hours of monthly usage. You can also get 5 GB of Storage Accounts, 1 million Azure Functions executions, 250 GB of Azure SQL Database storage, and more.
- Create Linux VMs with your preferred distribution, run containers on Azure Kubernetes Service, and choose from many preconfigured images in Azure Marketplace.
- Enjoy a 1-month trial of Linux or Windows Virtual Machines with $200 Azure credit.
- Automatically scale Linux VMs with load balancing and save costs with Azure Hybrid Benefit.
- Benefit from built-in support for Red Hat and SUSE.
- Streamline environment creation with Azure landing zones using Bicep for Linux VMs.
- Safeguard data with Azure Backup and monitor cloud health via Azure Monitor.
Oracle Cloud is another prominent cloud computing platform that offers various services and products for web hosting, such as Compute (virtual machines), Object Storage (object storage), Functions (serverless computing), Database (managed database), and more.
Oracle Cloud also has a free tier that allows you to use some of its services for free forever. For example, you can get two free Linux cloud servers with 1 GB of RAM, 50 GB of storage, and unlimited usage. You can also get 10 GB of Object Storage, 1 million Functions invocations, 20 GB of Database storage, and more.
- opt for Oracle Linux, a free and open-source OS compatible with Red Hat and CentOS.
- Deploy Oracle Autonomous Linux for automated, secure, and self-managing tasks.
- Access free services: 2 AMD-based VMs or 4 ARM-based Ampere A1 Compute instances.
- Enjoy free resources like Oracle Autonomous Databases, Object Storage, Load Balancer, and more.
- Begin with a $300 cloud credit, valid for 30 days, for various Oracle Cloud Infrastructure services.
IBM Cloud is another notable cloud computing platform that offers various services and products for web hosting, such as Virtual Servers (virtual machines), Cloud Object Storage (object storage), Cloud Functions (serverless computing), Databases (managed database), and more.
IBM Cloud also has a free tier that allows you to use some of its services for free for a limited time. For example, you can get a free Linux cloud server with 2 GB of RAM, 25 GB of storage, and 1000 hours of monthly usage. You can also get 25 GB of Cloud Object Storage, 5 million Cloud Functions invocations, 200 MB of Databases storage, and more.
- Access 40+ always-free products with no time limits, create an IBM Cloud account for $200 credit, and use IBM Watson APIs with a perpetual Lite plan.
- Deploy apps on serverless, Kubernetes, or turbo-charged IBM Db2 engine. Get secure Red Hat, SUSE, or Ubuntu servers on LinuxONE.
- Explore OpenShift Container Platform on LinuxONE Community Cloud, merging container agility with LinuxONE security and reliability.
How to Choose a Free Linux Cloud Server?
- Performance: Seek a Linux cloud server with ample CPU, RAM, storage, and bandwidth for fast, stable, high-traffic website hosting.
- Compatibility: Ensure your Linux cloud server supports your preferred programming languages, frameworks, databases, and tools for seamless website operation.
- Support: opt for a Linux cloud server with robust customer service, documentation, community, and tutorials to assist with any issues or inquiries.
- Features: Look for additional offerings like SSL certificates, domain names, email accounts, backup services, and monitoring tools to enhance website functionality and security.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why use a Linux Cloud Server?
Linux cloud servers offer scalability, flexibility, security, and cost-effectiveness. Use them for websites, apps, data storage, and more.
How to Choose a Best Linux Cloud Server Provider?
Consider features, pricing, and support when choosing a Linux cloud server provider. Compare options to find the best fit.
What are the Pros and Cons of using a Free Linux Cloud Server Provider?
Pros of free Linux cloud servers: Cost-effective, test services, gain experience. Cons: Restrictions, potential charges, risks.
In this article, we have compared the top 5 free Linux cloud server providers and their features and limitations. Depending on your needs and preferences, you can choose the one that suits you best. However, you should also be aware of the potential costs and risks involved in using these free services.
Always read the terms and conditions carefully before signing up and using any of these services. Also, make sure to back up your data regularly and have a contingency plan in case something goes wrong. We hope this article has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.