Have you ever wanted to browse the web without leaving any traces of your online activity? Maybe you want to shop for a gift without spoiling the surprise, or research a sensitive topic without being bombarded with ads. If so, you might have used Privacy in incognito mode, also known as private browsing or InPrivate mode, depending on your browser.
In this article, we will explain what Privacy in incognito mode is, why you might want to use it, and how to protect your privacy in incognito mode with six simple tips.
What is Incognito Mode and Why Use It?
Incognito mode is a browser feature that lets you browse the web without storing any information about your online activity on your device. When you open an incognito window, your browser creates a temporary session that is isolated from your main browsing session.
This means that any websites you visit, files you download, or forms you fill out will not be saved on your device or synced with your browser account.
How to Protect Your Privacy in Incognito Mode
If you want to browse the web more securely and anonymously, you need to take some extra steps to protect your privacy in incognito mode. Here are six ways to do that:
Use a VPN
A VPN, or a virtual private network, is a service that creates a secure and encrypted connection between your device and a remote server. When you use a VPN, all your internet traffic is routed through the VPN server, which masks your IP address and location from the websites you visit and anyone who can monitor your network traffic.
What is a VPN and How Does It Work?
A VPN works by creating a tunnel between your device and a VPN server. The VPN server acts as a proxy between you and the internet, meaning that it receives and sends data on your behalf.
This way, the websites you visit and anyone who can monitor your network traffic only see the IP address and location of the VPN server, not yours. VPN is also available in AI if you want additional information refer this article Benefits of Using an AI VPN.
When choosing a VPN, you should consider the following factors:
- Security features: A good VPN should use strong encryption protocols and algorithms to protect your data from hackers and snoopers.
You can also check out our blog, How to Protect Your Privacy from AI for more tips and tutorials on How to Protect Your Privacy from AI.
Use HTTPS Everywhere
HTTPS Everywhere is a browser extension that automatically forces websites to use HTTPS instead of HTTP. HTTPS is a secure version of HTTP that encrypts the data exchanged between your browser and the website you visit.
What is HTTPS and Why Is It Important?
HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure. It is a protocol that ensures that the data exchanged between your browser and the website you visit is encrypted and authenticated.
How to Install and Use HTTPS Everywhere
HTTPS Everywhere is a browser extension that automatically switches websites from HTTP to HTTPS whenever possible. It is developed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and The Tor Project, two organizations that promote online privacy and security.
To install HTTPS Everywhere, you need to visit the official website of the extension and choose your browser. The extension is available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, and Brave.
Beware of Malwares
Malware and browser extensions can still track you even when you are Privacy in incognito mode. Malware is malicious software that can be installed without your knowledge on your computer. Malware can follow your internet activities and steal your personal information after it is installed.
You should do the following to protect yourself against viruses and browser extensions that monitor you in Privacy in incognito mode:
- Install extensions only from trusted sources.
- Take care when clicking on links.
Use DuckDuckGo Search Engine
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that respects your privacy and does not track you or your online activity. Unlike other search engines, such as Google or Bing, DuckDuckGo does not collect or store any of your personal information, such as your IP address, search history, location, device information, or cookies.
What is DuckDuckGo and How Is It Different from Other Search Engines?
DuckDuckGo does not track you or your online activity in any way. This means that:
- DuckDuckGo does not collect or store any of your personal information, such as your IP address, search history, location, device information, or cookies.
- DuckDuckGo does not show you personalized ads or results based on your online activity or profile. Instead, it shows you the same results as everyone else for the same query.
Use Privacy Badger
Privacy Badger is a browser extension that protects you from trackers that follow you around the web. Trackers are scripts or pixels that collect information about your online activity and behavior, such as what websites you visit, what products you buy, what ads you click on, etc.
What is Privacy Badger and How Does It Protect You from Trackers?
Privacy Badger is a browser extension that blocks trackers that violate your privacy. Privacy Badger does not rely on predefined lists of trackers to block them.
Privacy Badger protects you from trackers by:
- Blocking third-party trackers that try to load on the websites you visit. Privacy Badger shows you how many trackers it has blocked on each website with a badge on its icon.
- Blocking cookies that try to identify you or store your preferences. Privacy Badger shows you how many cookies it has blocked on each website with a badge on its icon.
Use Tor Browser
Tor Browser is a browser that allows you to browse the web and access content that is blocked or censored in your region. Tor Browser uses a network of volunteer servers called Tor (The Onion Router) to route your internet traffic through multiple layers of encryption and obfuscation, making it hard for anyone to trace your online activity or location.
What is Tor Browser and How Does It Enhance Your privacy?
Tor network is a network of volunteer servers that relay your internet traffic through multiple layers of encryption and obfuscation, making it hard for anyone to trace your online activity or location.
Tor Browser enhances your privacy by:
- Hiding your IP address and location from the websites you visit and anyone who can monitor your network traffic. Tor Browser assigns you a random IP address and location from one of the Tor servers around the world, making it look like you are browsing from a different country or region.
- Preventing tracking and fingerprinting by websites and third parties. Tor Browser blocks trackers, cookies, scripts, and other methods that websites and third parties use to identify you or collect information about your online activity or behavior.
Clear Your Cache, Cookies, and History Regularly
Cache, cookies, and history are data that your browser stores on your device when you browse the web. Cache is data that your browser saves from websites you visit to make them load faster next time.
Cookies are data that websites send to your browser to store information about your preferences or behavior. History is data that your browser records about the websites you visit, such as their URLs, titles, dates, etc.
Benefits of Privacy in Incognito Mode
- You can browse the web without leaving any traces of your online activity on your device. This can be useful if you share your device with others or use a public computer.
- You can avoid unwanted ads and recommendations based on your browsing history.
Limitations of Privacy in Incognito Mode
- Your online activity is still visible to the websites you visit, your internet service provider (ISP), your network administrator, or anyone who can monitor your network traffic.
- Your online activity can still be linked to your device or browser by other means, such as your IP address, your browser fingerprint, or your device ID.
Incognito mode is a useful feature that can help you browse the web privately and securely. To enhance your privacy in incognito mode, you should use a VPN, HTTPS Everywhere, DuckDuckGo, Privacy Badger, and Tor Browser.
If you find this article helpful, please leave us a comment. Thank you very much for your time.