Windows 11 is Microsoft’s latest OS, packed with new features like a revamped Start menu, Snap layouts, Widgets, and Copilot. Copilot is a powerful AI assistant available via the taskbar or Windows + C shortcut, appearing as a right-edge sidebar for tasks like web searches, document summaries, settings changes, and app integration.
Copilot can be a useful tool for enhancing your productivity and creativity, but it might not be for everyone. Some users might find it distracting, intrusive, or unnecessary. If you are one of them, you might want to turn off copilot in Windows 11. In this article, we will show you three ways to do that.
Table of Contents
3 Ways to Turn Off Copilot
Copilot is a new feature in Windows 11 that uses artificial intelligence to assist you with various tasks, such as answering questions, summarizing web pages, creating images, and changing settings. Not everyone may find Copilot useful, and some may prefer to turn off copilot it completely. Here are three ways to turn off Copilot on Windows 11:
Method 1: Use the Taskbar Icon
- Open the Start Menu and click on the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Select ‘Personalization’ from the left sidebar.
- In the right section of the screen, find and click on ‘Taskbar.’
- Locate the ‘Copilot’ option and toggle the switch to ‘Off.’
- That’s it. You have successfully turned off Copilot in Windows 11 using the taskbar icon. If you want to turn it on again, just right-click on the same icon and select “Turn on Copilot”.
Method 2: Use the Group Policy Editor
- Open the Start Menu and type “Policy Editor” in the search bar.
- Click on the ‘Edit Group Policy’ option from the search results.
- In the Policy Editor window, select ‘Computer Configuration’ from the left side.
- Then, click on ‘Administrative Templates’ on the right side.
- Double-click on ‘Start Menu and Taskbar’ to proceed.
- Now, find ‘Hide the Copilot’ policy, double-click it to open its properties.
- To hide the Copilot button, choose ‘Enabled’ and click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ to save.
- To unhide the Copilot button, select ‘Disabled,’ and again, click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ to save the changes.
- That’s it. You have successfully turned off Copilot in Windows 11 using the Group Policy Editor.
Method 3: Use the Registry Editor
The third way to turn off Copilot in Windows 11 is to use the Registry Editor. This method is more advanced and requires caution, as making incorrect changes to the registry can cause system instability or damage. We recommend backing up your registry before proceeding. Here are the steps:
- Open the Registry Editor by pressing Windows + R, typing “regedit”, and clicking “OK”.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced by expanding the folders on the left pane.
- Next, find “ShowCopilotButton” in the right pane and double-click it.
- Now, change the value to 0 and click OK. The Copilot button will disappear immediately.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer for the change to take effect. You have successfully turn off Copilot in Windows.
To activate Microsoft Copilot within your Microsoft 365 applications, follow the step-by-step instructions provided in the article “How to Activate Microsoft Copilot in Your Microsoft 365 Apps?.” This guide offers detailed insights into the activation process, ensuring you can leverage the benefits of Microsoft Copilot seamlessly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enable Copilot in Windows 11?
To enable Copilot in Windows 11, follow the same steps as turning it off but set the value to 1 instead of 0 using the taskbar icon, Settings app, or Registry Editor.
How do I customize Copilot in Windows 11?
Customize Copilot in Windows 11 by opening it and selecting the gear icon. You’ll find options for language, voice, appearance, feedback, and more to personalize your Copilot experience.
How do I use Copilot with other apps in Windows 11?
Access Copilot, pick a compatible app like Microsoft 365, Edge, or Bing, and perform tasks like web searches, document creation, or web browsing.
How do I update Copilot in Windows 11?
To update Copilot in Windows 11, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, then click “Check for updates.” Any available Copilot updates will be installed automatically.
How do I uninstall Copilot in Windows 11?
You can uninstall Copilot in Windows 11 by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features and searching for “Copilot”. Click on it and select “Uninstall”. Follow the instructions to complete the process.
We have shown you three ways to turn off Copilot in Windows 11: using the taskbar icon, using the Settings app, and using the Registry Editor. You can choose any of these methods depending on your preference and skill level. Before you decide to turn off Copilot, you might want to give it a try and see how it can help you with various tasks.
Copilot is a powerful and intelligent assistant that can make your Windows 11 experience more enjoyable and efficient. You can customize it to suit your needs, such as changing its language, voice, and appearance. You can also use it with other apps, such as Microsoft 365, Edge, and Bing, to access more features and capabilities.